20130319

Stolen Content

So I'm poking around the stats for this blog and come across a source site "tutofig.com." I hover over the link and see "how-painting-shieldgenerator-powerplant" as part of the URL.  I recognize this as being suspiciously similar to my shield generator/power plant post from last year.  Curious, I follow the link to tutofig and see a picture of my piece with the text of the post...surrounded by advertisement.  Now, I'm all for sharing my experiences, techniques, painting tips, scratchbuilds, and so on. That's part of the reason I started this blog in the first place.  What upsets me is that nobody asked for my permission to repost the content and that who ever owns tutofig.com is using my content in conjuction with advertisements that generate income for them.  Granted, per click ad schemes don't generate a lot of money, but it's the principle.  This person is making money using my content without my consent. This person is using my work to generate income.  Sarge mad.

I've sent them an email nicely explaining that the content was reposted without my consent and that I'd like it removed soonest with a response when they have pulled the content.  I did a quick search in Google on "painting a shield generator power plant" and tutofig was the first result with my (original) content second, so it's not like the content won't be available if they pull it.  It's about the fact that my work was stolen.

For those of you who have your own blogs, you may want to see if any of your content has been similarly taken without your consent.

2 comments:

Sergeant Crunch said...

I received an email from them this morning. They removed the content and were respectful in their response to me.

Seth said...

At least they were nice about it.